Friday 11 January 2013

AVOCADO, EDAMAME, MANGO + POMEGRANATE SALAD

Going home can mean many things.  It can mean different things at varying points in time--during different seasons, at different moments over the course of one's life.  For me over the past three weeks, going home meant sunshine.  Hikes.  A much nicer shower head than the one to which I have become accustomed.  New experiences with good friends I hadn't seen in far too long.  And really good produce.

Because I hardly cooked when I was last living in Los Angeles, I never really appreciated how excellent (and relatively affordable) the produce there is.  In this way, it's a bit ironic that I'm embarking on my impassioned culinary endeavors in London, where food is generally incredibly expensive and even the ripest avocado doesn't taste like much of anything.  Returning to LA with my new love of cooking in tow, I completely relished the fruits and vegetables--but especially the fruits--available to me (and without breaking the bank, at that).  I apologize for posting a recipe that includes avocado and mango in January.  I know, it isn't very season-conscious of me, but that's just what happens when you spend December in Los Angeles.  





Avocado, Edamame, Mango and Pomegranate Salad
Serves one

Ingredients

1/4 cup edamame (typically bought frozen, in pods or shelled)
1/2 avocado
1/4 pomegranate
1 mango
1/4 lime
4-6 mint leaves

Directions

1.  Cook edamame according to package instructions. (I recommend making more than 1/4 cup worth and saving the rest for another dish or snack.)
2.  Halve avocado lengthwise and dice into cubes, creating a grid in the flesh and then scooping out with a spoon.
3.  Dice mango into cubes.  (Dicing tips can be found here.)
4.  Cut the pomegranate in half and then one of the halves into two quarters.  Deseed one quarter of the pomegranate. (The rest should be refrigerated and will keep fresh for 2-3 days.  Because they have a tendency to squirt liquid that stains, I find it easiest to deseed pomegranates submerged in a bowl of water.  This is also helpful because the seeds sink and the white pith floats, making it easier to separate the two.)
5.  Finely chop mint leaves.
6.  Toss all together in a bowl.
7.  Dress with a few squeezes of fresh lime.

No comments:

Post a Comment